Norfolk man killed in crash attending to disabled vehicle
Norfolk, Virginia - According to State Police, 39 year-old Shelton Copeland of the 800 block of East 27th Street in Norfolk was killed early Saturday morning in an accident on Interstate 64.
Police say around 2:07am, Copeland’s 1997 Chevy Tahoe was disabled on Interstate 64 westbound, east of the Interstate 264 Interchange in Norfolk.
Police say Copeland’s vehicle was pulled over on the right shoulder but partially in the roadway.
Copeland was attempting to put gas into the vehicle when it was struck by a 2001 Chrysler van.
Asa result of the impact, the Chrysler van overturned in the roadway and it was then struck by a 2001 Chevy Silverado.
Copeland was pronounced deceased at the scene. The driver in the Chrysler van, Charlotte Lane of Norfolk, was transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The driver of the Silverado, Andrew Buckingham of Chesapeake, was treated at the scene.
Lane, the driver of the van, has been charged with driving on a suspended license, no insurance, and expired registration. Further charges may be pending upon review of the case by the Commonwealth’s Attorney.
The accident remains under investigation.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- UPDATE: Crews free stuck cargo ship