James Taylor flubs national anthem, recovers smoothly
(CNN) — All future singers of the national anthem should pay close attention to James Taylor’s performance at Game 2 of the World Series on October 24.
If you’re going to make a mistake, this is the way to make it.
On Thursday, the musician was at Fenway Park in Boston to lead the stadium in a rendition of “The Star-Spangled Banner.” But when he opened his mouth to sing, the words of “America the Beautiful” started pouring out.
Rather than “Oh, say can you see,” Taylor kicked off the song with, “Oh, beautiful …”
But the singer quickly — and rather smoothly — recovered, going straight into the correct lyrics without missing a beat.
While other singers have caught major flak for messing up the words to the national anthem at such events, Taylor did have an excuse: he was also performing “America the Beautiful” that same night during the seventh inning stretch.
He was joined by several survivos of April’s Boston Marathon attack.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified