NYPD mistakes Jolly Ranchers for crystal meth
Photo by Jo Naylor
New York City, NY (WPIX) — Mayor Bloomberg is trying to crack down on sugary treats, but this may have gone too far.
One Brooklyn man was arrested by the NYPD for possession of Jolly Ranchers candy.
Love Olatunjiojo, 25, bought the candy from the It’Sugar candy store in Coney Island back in June.
The NYPD apparently thought the candy was crystal meth.
The man actually spent a day in jail where he was said to have suffered emotional distress. His lawyer said, “I don’t know if these cops have been watching ‘Breaking Bad,’ but my client is not Walter White.”
Two days after his arrest, an NYPD lab found the “rocks” to be Jolly Ranchers. The charges were dismissed in September.
Olatunjiojo is seeking an unspecified amount of damages for emotional distress, false arrest and imprisonment and illegal search and seizure.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen