Melissa McCarthy’s Elle cover generates criticism
Melissa McCarthy graces the cover of Elle magazine this month as part of the magazine’s Women in Hollywood cover series.
When McCarthy’s cover debuted last week, critics pointed out that the other November cover girls, like Penelope Cruz and Reese Witherspoon, were all shown wearing body-conscious outfits that flashed some skin. McCarthy, however, is dressed in a coat “so huge,” wrote Slate, “that she could hide her Mike and Molly co-star Billy Gardel underneath.”
Elle has responded to the critics, defending its styling choices with the following statement:
“On all of our shoots, our stylists work with the stars to choose pieces they feel good in, and this is no different: Melissa loved this look, and is gorgeous on our cover. We are thrilled to honor her as one of our Women in Hollywood this year.”
What do you think? Should the magazine have shown more of McCarthy’s curvy figure?
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified