The American Liver Foundation offers some tips on how to better take care of your liver:
- Eating a healthy diet and exercising regularly help the liver to work well. Eating an unhealthy diet can lead to liver disease.
- Eat foods from all the food groups: grains, protein, dairy, fruits, vegetables, and fats.
- Eat foods that have a lot of fiber such as fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grain breads, rice and cereals.
- Follow dosing instructions when taking medications. Taking too much or the wrong type of medication can be harmful to the liver. Mixing medications can be harmful as well.
- Limit the Amount of Alcohol You Drink. Alcohol can damage or destroy liver cells.
- Limit direct contact with toxins from cleaning and aerosol products, insecticides, chemicals, and additives in cigarettes.
- Do not smoke.
To learn more about liver awareness month and how to take better care of your liver visit the American Liver Foundation website.