Governor McDonnell announces plans to widen Lynnhaven Pkwy
Governor McDonnell’s office just announced a $19 million project that would improve traffic in each direction of the roadway.
The project calls for Lynnhaven to expand to four lanes from Centerville Turnpike to Indian River Road, making it a continuous four-lane road.
Four new traffic signals will also be added, along with an eight-foot wide multi-use path, a sidewalk, and sound barriers.
The widening project will also create a connection between Chesapeake and Virginia Beach by bridging a canal between Centerville Turnpike and Indian River Road.
The project manager says right now, nearly 11,000 cars per day drive on those roadways and that’s expected to double in the next 12 years.
The project is expected to be completed by 2016.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations