USS Helena returns to Norfolk
Dozens of families waited patiently pierside on Tuesday morning as the USS Helena slowly made her way home to Naval Station Norfolk.
The Los Angeles-class attack sub traveled more than 50,000 nautical miles before arriving back in Norfolk.
While away, the sailors carried out several different missions in support of national security interests.
The sub’s commanding officer called it a successful deployment supporting the European, Central and Pacific Command areas of responsibility.
“They overcame hardships, material failures, and complex environments to successfully complete our missions,” said Commander Jeffery Lamphear.
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- UPDATE: Police identify two children dead after multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call