Big Blue statue unveiled at ODU
At a packed celebration at the Webb Center on Friday morning, ODU unveiled a 7-foot-tall bronze statue of their mascot, Big Blue.
The idea for the statue came from members of ODU’s Student Government Association after seeing a similar statue at another school.
The statue was made by Virginia Beach sculptor Richard Stravitz.
Throughout their journey, ODU students are encouraged to revisit the statue and rub Blue’s belly so as to bring wealth, good luck and prosperity. Four years later, students will again take their picture with Big Blue as part of their graduation celebration.Submit Your Photo
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- The real story behind the ‘train selfie’ and the man kicked in head by ‘conductor’