Body found in canal identified as missing ECSU student
The identity of a body found Tuesday morning in an Elizabeth City canal has been identified as that of 22-year-old Terry M. Leathers II, who was reported missing by Elizabeth City State University Police last week.
The medical examiner has ruled the cause of death as a drowning.
Leathers’ family has been notified of the findings.
Several of Leathers’ personal belongings were found near the canal in Pelican Point. The body was discovered nearby.
Chancellor Charles Becton and the ECSU family extend their deepest sympathy to the Leathers family. Leathers was a native of Roper, N.C., a town located about 47 miles from the university.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- One person rushed to hospital after double shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'