Body found in canal identified as missing ECSU student
The identity of a body found Tuesday morning in an Elizabeth City canal has been identified as that of 22-year-old Terry M. Leathers II, who was reported missing by Elizabeth City State University Police last week.
The medical examiner has ruled the cause of death as a drowning.
Leathers’ family has been notified of the findings.
Several of Leathers’ personal belongings were found near the canal in Pelican Point. The body was discovered nearby.
Chancellor Charles Becton and the ECSU family extend their deepest sympathy to the Leathers family. Leathers was a native of Roper, N.C., a town located about 47 miles from the university.
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- "Katherine" the 14-foot-long shark could be headed to Virginia Beach
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- Some mail sent to sailors aboard the USS Harry S. Truman was lost at sea