Suffolk Walmart temporarily closes after carbon monoxide detected
Suffolk Fire and Rescue along with Suffolk Police responded to Walmart at 1200 North Main Street on Tuesday morning just before 9:00 a.m. after a strong smell of gas was detected in areas around the store.
Carbon monoxide was detected inside the store with gas meters and the store was evacuated at 10:45 a.m.
Suffolk Police assisted with nearby traffic control and Virginia Natural Gas responded to the scene.
Police say the HVAC units in the building are remotely controlled at a Walmart facility out of state and the cause of the gas and carbon monoxide odors could not be isolated.
Virginia Natural Gas did a pressure test of the natural gas system which indicated a leak. The natural gas is now secured to the entire building until crews make repairs on Wednesday.
No reports of injuries or patients have been associated with this incident.
The store reopened at 6:50 p.m., but the bakery and deli are still closed.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Watch: Arizona pug takes on police K-9
- Man struck and killed by truck in Newport News; driver arrested