Two hurt in train derailment, fire in Southampton County
Southampton County, Va. – Two people were hurt in a train derailment and fire early this morning in Southampton County.
The CSX train heading from Portsmouth to Rocky Mount, North Carolina derailed around 2:30am, causing a large fuel spill and fire near a Dominion Power station and a chemical plant, according to NewsChannel 3′s Darragh Copley.
10 rail cars and 2 locomotives overturned from the train, which had more than 30 cars and was carrying mixed freight.
The engineer and conductor on the train were injured, one was taken to a hospital in Franklin, the other was airlifted to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
Delaware Road remains closed.
The Southampton County Sheriffs Office says that the fuel spill has been contained and is now in a cleanup stage, which will take several more hours.
Check back with wtkr.com and NewsChannel 3 for more details on this developing story.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found
- Grandma charged after leaving 6 young grandchildren alone in motel