Take a look inside the Navy’s newest submarine
Norfolk, Va. (WTKR) – The Navy will commission its newest Virginia-Class submarine on Saturday in Norfolk.
The Pre-Commissioning Unit Minnesota, which will become the USS Minnesota when it is commissioned Saturday, will be the 10th of the Virginia-class of attack submarines.
On Thursday, NewsChannel 3 took a tour of the new submarine. The Newport News-built sub was delivered 11 months ahead of schedule.
In many ways the submarine is like many of it predecessors, with narrow passageways, tight bunks and limited personal space.
Yet the Minnesota is also on the cutting edge of technology, with touch screens inside the control room and computerized sonar technology.
The Minnesota achieved the highest readiness score of any Virginia-class submarine to date when it was inspected by the Navy’s Board of Inspection and Survey.
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Father and son among three arrested in Kitty Hawk drug investigation
- Family, friends gather to remember two girls killed in Ahoskie fire; two others injured
- South Carolina mother drives van filled with kids into ocean