Virginia Beach police identify man killed on Chimney Hill Parkway
Virginia Beach, Virginia – Police found 46 year-old John Andrew Gancarz dead after responding to a shooting in the 800 block of Chimney Hill Parkway in Virginia Beach Friday morning.
Police say the call came in around 6:40 a.m.
The gunman was identified as Ernest Steven Croft, 57, of Portsmouth and was arrested after he turned himself in to police at the scene.
Croft has been charged with first-degree murder and use of a firearm. He is now being held without bond in the Virginia Beach Correctional Center.
Neighbors say they heard arguing before the shots were fired, then saw a man leave the home and drive away. They ran over when a woman came out of the home screaming and found a man’s body in the yard.
Police say Croft later returned to the scene and turned himself in.
Police have not released any information regarding what led up to the shooting.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations