Norfolk city council approves Waterside Live!
Norfolk, Va. – Norfolk City Council voted to approve the Waterside Live! agreement for the new development downtown.
In a unanimous vote, the city has agreed to have The Cordish Company come in and invest $40 million dollars into the current Waterside, adding new jobs, entertainment, restaurants and clubs.
“The Council is pleased to turn over this iconic property to the Cordish Companies,” said Mayor Paul D. Fraim. “Waterside has long served as a gathering place for the region. The Cordish Companies share the city’s vision of a vibrant, public location and we believe Waterside Live! will become a premier destination along our waterfront and serve as a catalyst for growth and development downtown.”
The city estimates it would make close to $100 million over the next 30 years.
The agreement includes no upfront city money and provides an opportunity to diversify and expand the city’s economy into the entertainment and leisure industries.
A lease is expected to be signed within the next couple of weeks.
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket