James River Bridge grid deck stud installation to begin
The installation of studs on the grid deck of the James River Bridge is set to begin later this month.
VDOT determined that the stud installation would be the best way to provide enhanced vehicle traction on the bridge.
The bridge was evaluated after an increase of crashes that began two months after the new grid deck’s installation.
The project to install the studs was awarded to Corman Construction in Annapolis Junction, Maryland at a cost of $897,500.
The work is scheduled to begin the week of August 26th, with installation of the studs to begin after Labor Day.
The work should be complete by November 1st.
Crews will work under single lane closures to install the studs on the grid deck of the bridge. No full weekend closures are planned to occur in either direction. Motorists should anticipate minor delays and expect single lane closures at all times except the following when work zones will be suspended and all lanes will remain open:
Route 17 North
- Weekends: Saturday at 5 a.m. to Monday at 9 a.m.
- Morning Rush Hour: Monday – Friday 5 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Route 17 South
- Weekends: Friday 3 p.m. to Sunday at 7 p.m.
- Evening Rush Hour: Monday – Friday 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study