Hillary Clinton to host fundraiser for McAuliffe’s campaign
(CNN) – Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton will host a fundraiser next month for longtime family friend and Democratic candidate for Virginia governor Terry McAuliffe, a source familiar with the event confirmed to CNN Friday.
The event is scheduled to be held at Clinton’s home in Washington, said the source, who spoke anonymously since the fundraiser is considered a private event.
Former President Bill Clinton has headlined fundraisers for McAuliffe in his bid against Virginia’s Republican Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli. McAuliffe served as chairman of Bill Clinton’s 1996 campaign for re-election, and as co-chairman of Hillary Clinton’s 2008 bid for the Democratic presidential nomination. He was also the chairman of the Democratic National Committee from 2001-2005.
The Sept. 30 fundraiser will mark Clinton’s first political event since stepping down as the nation’s top diplomat in February.
She’s appeared at events championing women and children, as well assumed a schedule of paid speaking engagements.
Politico first reported the fundraiser.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Update: Two dead in homicide-suicide shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'