19 units damaged in Newport News storage facility fire
Newport News, Va. – Newport News firefighters battled a fire that damaged nineteen storage units at the Public Storage facility at 11887 Jefferson Avenue.
The fire started shortly before 1:00am Sunday.
Thirty units in all were affected.
Because of the hot and humid weather conditions and the projected length of the operation, several additional fire units were called to the scene.
Jefferson Avenue southbound and St. Thomas Street near the area were closed but have since reopened.
Fire units remained on scene for five hours.
It has not yet been determined how the fire started.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time