Police identify man killed after jumping from the Granby Street Bridge
Norfolk, Va. – Norfolk Fire and Rescue recovered the body of 22-year-old Joseph Patrick Callahan, who jumped off the Granby Street bridge early Sunday morning.
Callahan was known to friends and family as Joey. He is the son of attorney Sullivan Callahan.
Police and fire officials say Callahan and a 17 year-old young woman climbed up the side of the bridge and jumped off shortly before 4:00 am.
The young woman surfaced and was rescued shortly after the jump. Callahan did not.
Witnesses say they heard someone screaming for help.
Callahan’s body was recovered at 8:45am and transported to the Medical Examiner’s office to determine the cause of death and to determine if alcohol was involved.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified