More rain on the way
Hampton Roads, VA – Heavy rain caused flash flooding over parts of Newport News and York county Sunday evening.
The National Weather Service issued a Flash Flood Warning for these areas, which expired at 8:30 this evening.
The heaviest rainfall amounts fell across portions of York County. Parts of Grafton received 5.02 inches of rain as of 9pm. The Seaford area received almost 4 inches of rain.
Street flooding was reported at the Grafton Mobile Home Park and several side roads were also flooded around the Newport News airport.
Even though the heaviest of rain has moved out of the area, areas of standing water could remain for the next few hours.
If you approach a flooded roadway, turn around, don’t drown. More storms are possible over the next couple of days and additional flooding issues could occur in areas that see very heavy rain.
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- ‘Little hero’ uses Facetime to save his mom