Route 17 remains closed in Gloucester
Route 17 in Gloucester County remains closed in both directions near Powhatan Drive due to an incident at an adjacent facility.
A quarter-mile detour route is in place around the closure. Motorists on Route 17 are being directed by Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) and law enforcement officials to follow the detour route at the scene.
Congestion on southbound Route 17 begins 2 miles before the closure, and motorists traveling in this direction should expect delays. Northbound Route 17 traffic is currently congested a quarter-mile before the incident scene.
The road is expected to remain closed for several additional hours this morning.
Real-time listings of travel times, work zones, and traffic incidents in Virginia are available on VDOT’s 24-hour traffic information website, http://www.511Virginia.org. Motorists can also access 511Virginia by calling 511 from any telephone in Virginia.
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket