ODU student selected to U-21 Junior World Cup Field Hockey Team
Well one local athlete has been given the opportunity of a lifetime. ODU’s Kelsey Smither has been selected to the US U-21 Junior World Cup Field Hockey team where she will not only represent her school, but also her country.
Smither is a rising junior and will join an 18 team roster set to compete in Europe this summer. The event is held every four years. The junior world cup signifies the top international event for elite field hockey athletes under the age of 21.
The selection occurs over multiple events including the Women’s National Championship, The u-21 Women’s National Championship, the Futures Elite Championship, and Nationals Futures Championships. From those, 34 players were selected before being cut to 18.
She gets ready to leave for Germany soon to compete July 27 through August 4th.
- Man accused of stealing from dying friend now a fugitive
- Officials discuss plans to repair closed Bonner Bridge
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Washington and Lee student killed, 9 injured in crash
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says