Body of crewmember who fell overboard from the USS Boise identified
Norfolk, Va. – Divers recovered the body of a crewmember who fell overboard from the Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Boise at Naval Station Norfolk.
Sonar Technician Submarine Seaman Rolando Acosta, 21, of Plainview, Texas reportedly fell overboard around noon Saturday while standing duty.
The submarine was moored to a Naval Station Norfolk pier at the time.
Divers recovered the sailor’s body approximately two hours after the fall.
The incident is under investigation, but a Navy spokesperson says it appears he drowned at this time.
Acosta reported to Boise last December. The Norfolk-based submarine was Acosta’s first assignment after enlisting in the Navy in January 2012.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen