Man charged with DUI after hitting police car in Virginia Beach
Virginia Beach, Va. – Jovan Chesmon Smith, a 32-year-old Beach man, is behind bars after police say he drove across a median and hit a police car with an officer and a police chaplain inside.
Smith has been charged with DUI second offense, following too close, no seat belt, unauthorized use of inspection sticker and no insurance.
Police say this happened over the weekend on June 29th at around 7:15 p.m. at the intersection of Euclid Road and S. Independence Blvd.
They say Smith was going northbound on Independence Blvd. and was turning left on Euclid Rd. As he was making the turn, he hit another vehicle in the next lane, overcorrected and that’s when he crossed over the median hitting the police car.
Smith’s car stopped on its side on Best Buy’s sidewalk.
No one was injured during this incident.
Smith is now being held at the Virginia Beach Correctional Center without bond.
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- The real story behind the ‘train selfie’ and the man kicked in head by ‘conductor’