Portsmouth man accused of assaulting woman, leaving infant in woods
Portsmouth, Va. – A 22-year-old Portsmouth man is behind bars after he allegedly beat the mother of his child and left the two-month-old boy in the woods as he fled from police.
Police were initially called out to Corprew Drive for a domestic dispute around 1:15am. The woman told officers that she was beaten by Ayrton Trannie Wright and police say she had contusions to her head and face.
Witnesses told police they say saw Wright running from the scene and into the woods on Turnpike Road. Eventually, officers caught up to Wright and he was taken into custody.
When police went back into the home, the woman told them that her two-month-old baby was missing. Police searched the woods and found the boy on the ground near a tree. The baby was not harmed and was taken back to his mother.
Wright is now in the custody of the Portsmouth Sheriff’s Office and has been charged with assault and battery, and abuse and neglect.
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Woman's body found on Yorktown Beach
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million