Gov. McDonnell announces new school resource officers
Richmond, Va. – Twenty-four Virginia cities and counties will be able to add school resource officers in schools where none are currently assigned, Governor Bob McDonnell announced Monday.
This includes elementary schools in Isle of Wight and middle schools in Newport News and Surry.
They will be funded by grants originating from a $1.3 million appropriation requested by the governor and approved by the General Assembly earlier this year.
In total, 37 localities across the Commonwealth submitted applications in response to the solicitation that was issued earlier this spring by the Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS). They requested more than $2.6 million in funding for 83 SROs.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Watch: Arizona pug takes on police K-9
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales