Gov. McDonnell announces new school resource officers
Richmond, Va. – Twenty-four Virginia cities and counties will be able to add school resource officers in schools where none are currently assigned, Governor Bob McDonnell announced Monday.
This includes elementary schools in Isle of Wight and middle schools in Newport News and Surry.
They will be funded by grants originating from a $1.3 million appropriation requested by the governor and approved by the General Assembly earlier this year.
In total, 37 localities across the Commonwealth submitted applications in response to the solicitation that was issued earlier this spring by the Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS). They requested more than $2.6 million in funding for 83 SROs.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found
- Grandma charged after leaving 6 young grandchildren alone in motel