Truck driver stuck on Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel: ‘I’ve never been so scared in my life’
Hampton Roads, Va. – A truck driver stranded on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel as a powerful line of thunderstorms pummeled Hampton Roads Thursday afternoon picked up his cell phone and started recording.
Kent Holcomb sent this video of the windy, rainy conditions rocking his big rig as he was forced to ride out the storm inside truck sitting atop of one of the tunnel’s bridges above the bay.
“I’ve never been so scared in my life. They closed the bridge, and I’m stuck in the middle of it,” Holcomb said on the video. “You can see by my cord, just how bad this truck is rocking… I’m going to need a drink after this.”
Holcomb said he was headed home to Hampton Roads from Rhode Island when he ran into the bad weather. In fact, he said he had been following the weather all afternoon.
“I thought I was going to be able to beat it — and I guess the bridge people thought that too — but that wasn’t the case,” Holcomb said.
High winds forced crews to close the 23-mile-long bridge tunnel.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Elizabeth City's "Operation Double Down" cracks down on illegal drug sales
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time