York County students take cover after funnel clouds spotted
York County, Va. - No warning was issued by the National Weather Service, but the sight of what appeared to be funnel clouds was enough to disrupt classes at York County Schools.
Two videos from NewsChannel 3 viewers, shot near the Newport News airport and the Oyster Point section of Newport News Monday afternoon, show funnel clouds forming off in the distance.
It was around 2:30 when York County Schools got wind of a possible funnel cloud. At that point, students at all elementary and middle schools took precaution.
Parents say they got a call around 3 p.m., notifying them about the tornado safety precautions.
Though nothing came out of the ominous clouds and funnel reports, parents say it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News