York County students take cover after funnel clouds spotted
York County, Va. - No warning was issued by the National Weather Service, but the sight of what appeared to be funnel clouds was enough to disrupt classes at York County Schools.
Two videos from NewsChannel 3 viewers, shot near the Newport News airport and the Oyster Point section of Newport News Monday afternoon, show funnel clouds forming off in the distance.
It was around 2:30 when York County Schools got wind of a possible funnel cloud. At that point, students at all elementary and middle schools took precaution.
Parents say they got a call around 3 p.m., notifying them about the tornado safety precautions.
Though nothing came out of the ominous clouds and funnel reports, parents say it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach