Woman accused of crashing into Newport News home, killing 75-year-old man
Newport News, Va. – A 75-year-old man is dead after police say a woman ran off the road and crashed into his Newport News home on Timberneck Lane. Neighbors say the man was sitting in the kitchen with his wife, who was seriously hurt during the accident.
Police arrested 38-year-old Jennifer Mangum on several DUI related charges including manslaughter.
Court documents show Mangum has a history of mental health conditions and that she spent time in Mary view psychiatric hospital.
According to the pretrial report, she answered yes when asked if she feels she has a problem with drugs and alcohol.
At the time of the crash, police say Mangum had a blood alcohol level of .08 and may have had drugs in her system.
She remains in jail without bail.
Neighbors say Charles was pinned between a wall and the kitchen table.
Charles died at the hospital and neighbors say Sharon was seriously hurt.
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Woman's body found on Yorktown Beach
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million