Woman accused of crashing into Newport News home, killing 75-year-old man
Newport News, Va. – A 75-year-old man is dead after police say a woman ran off the road and crashed into his Newport News home on Timberneck Lane. Neighbors say the man was sitting in the kitchen with his wife, who was seriously hurt during the accident.
Police arrested 38-year-old Jennifer Mangum on several DUI related charges including manslaughter.
Court documents show Mangum has a history of mental health conditions and that she spent time in Mary view psychiatric hospital.
According to the pretrial report, she answered yes when asked if she feels she has a problem with drugs and alcohol.
At the time of the crash, police say Mangum had a blood alcohol level of .08 and may have had drugs in her system.
She remains in jail without bail.
Neighbors say Charles was pinned between a wall and the kitchen table.
Charles died at the hospital and neighbors say Sharon was seriously hurt.
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call
- The real story behind the ‘train selfie’ and the man kicked in head by ‘conductor’