Expanded parking opens at Little Island Park in Sandbridge
Virginia Beach, Va.- Construction is wrapping up on an expanded parking lot at Little Island Park at Sandbridge.
The expansion adds 124 new parking spaces to the 540 already in the park, as well as two new attendant booths and a new entrance.
On Friday morning, crews were putting the finishing touches on painting lines on the new spaces which are primarily made from environmentally-sustainable open-grid pavers.
Virginia Beach wanted the new parking done in time for use by Memorial Day.
The project is supposed to make access to the park and beach easier for visitors, while reducing construction on Sandpiper Road.
That was made possible by a new traffic lane on Sandpiper constructed in 2012.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- Girl receives over 200 stitches in her head after vicious pit bull attack in Newport News
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study