Update: Two pedestrians hit on I-264 EB
A traffic accident that shut down eastbound and westbound Interstate 264, west of Victory Blvd., is still under investigation, State police tell NewsChannel 3.
It happened on April 30, 2013 at approximately 11:53 a.m. Trooper J. Hertenstein was dispatched to a vehicle accident involving two pedestrians on eastbound Interstate 264, in the city of Portsmouth.
A Toyota Rav4 was stuck in the grass median between the east and westbound lanes. Police say a person traveling eastbound stopped on the closed shoulder and ran across the travel lanes to assist the female driver stuck in the median.
Both drivers then attempted to signal traffic to slow down.
Police say the vehicles traveling eastbound attempted to stop, but due to the sudden stopping of traffic, a Chevy pickup truck lost control, ran off the road into the median, and struck both pedestrians.
Both pedestrians suffered serious injuries and were taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.
Charges are pending based on the Commonwealth’s review of the case.
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- ‘Little hero’ uses Facetime to save his mom