Driver suffering from medical condition won’t be charged in fiery crash on I-264
Virginia Beach, Va. – The person who briefly drove a van onto the Oceanfront boardwalk last night before overturning and crashing on I-264 was suffering from a medical condition and will not face criminal charges.
Police first attempted to stop the van when they noticed it driving on the boardwalk, but were unsuccessful. The van struck a concrete planter on the boardwalk and then turned onto I-264 westbound where it sideswiped a slower moving vehicle . It then overturned near the Birdneck Road exit and caught fire.
Police were able to pull the driver from the van while additional officers attempted to put out the blaze with fire extinguishers.
The driver was transported to a nearby hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The vehicle that was sideswiped sustained very minor damage and no occupants were injured.
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- UPDATE: Police identify two children dead after multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call