Driver suffering from medical condition won’t be charged in fiery crash on I-264
Virginia Beach, Va. – The person who briefly drove a van onto the Oceanfront boardwalk last night before overturning and crashing on I-264 was suffering from a medical condition and will not face criminal charges.
Police first attempted to stop the van when they noticed it driving on the boardwalk, but were unsuccessful. The van struck a concrete planter on the boardwalk and then turned onto I-264 westbound where it sideswiped a slower moving vehicle . It then overturned near the Birdneck Road exit and caught fire.
Police were able to pull the driver from the van while additional officers attempted to put out the blaze with fire extinguishers.
The driver was transported to a nearby hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The vehicle that was sideswiped sustained very minor damage and no occupants were injured.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Man wants ‘murder’ tattoo removed from neck before trial
- Victim's family angry after killer gets unsupervised leave