Driver suffering from medical condition won’t be charged in fiery crash on I-264
Virginia Beach, Va. – The person who briefly drove a van onto the Oceanfront boardwalk last night before overturning and crashing on I-264 was suffering from a medical condition and will not face criminal charges.
Police first attempted to stop the van when they noticed it driving on the boardwalk, but were unsuccessful. The van struck a concrete planter on the boardwalk and then turned onto I-264 westbound where it sideswiped a slower moving vehicle . It then overturned near the Birdneck Road exit and caught fire.
Police were able to pull the driver from the van while additional officers attempted to put out the blaze with fire extinguishers.
The driver was transported to a nearby hospital with non-life threatening injuries. The vehicle that was sideswiped sustained very minor damage and no occupants were injured.
- 2 million Facebook, Gmail and Twitter passwords stolen in massive hack, report says
- UPDATE: Train derailment near Princess Anne Road and Ballentine Blvd. in Norfolk
- Chesterfield teen charged with sexually abusing pregnant pit bull
- Dominion Blvd. emergency closure in place
- Police investigating after man claiming workers' comp treated day before for sports injury