Coast Guard searches for missing man 1,900 miles east of Cape Hatteras
Portsmouth, Va. – The Coast Guard, along with a vessel from the Automated Mutual-Assistance Vessel Rescue System, is searching for a man Tuesday who reportedly fell overboard from the merchant vessel Daniela Bolten approximately 1,900 miles east of Cape Hatteras, N.C. That’s according to a news release from the U.S. Coast Guard.
A 47-year-old man was reported missing by the master of the 494-foot Daniela Bolten at 11 a.m. Tuesday.
Watchstanders at the Fifth Coast Guard District received initial notification via a satellite distress alert and through email from Rescue Coordination Center Delgada in the Azores, stating the crewmember was last seen at approximately 5:30 p.m. Monday.
Watchstanders launched a crew aboard an HC-130 Hercules from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., to search the area the Daniela Bolten had passed through.
Crewmembers aboard the Daniela Bolten and the AMVER vessel Maersk Virtue are also efforting the search.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for updates.
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket