Local runners gather at the oceanfront to remember victims of the Boston bombing
The running community is a tight-knit one.
So with their family in Boston hurting, runners from around Hampton Roads are coming together to show their support .
A Boston marathon memorial run/walk was held at the Virginia Beach oceanfront, starting at 2:50pm, the time of the first explosion at the Boston Marathon finish line.
People walked or ran down the boardwalk for just over four miles, reflecting the marathon’s time of four hours and nine minutes when the attacks occurred.
Saturday’s event wasn’t a race. Times weren’t even kept.
Instead, organizers wanted to keep the focus on the victims and everyone else who was affected by the bombings.
To do that, people brought more than just their running shoes.
Some carried posters showing pictures of the victims, others banners and flags, anything to honor their fellow runners in Boston.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified