Norfolk family escapes house fire thanks to smoke alarm
Two people living in a home on Suburban Parkway near Kirby Crescent were alerted to a fire in their home by a working smoke detector Friday night.
They were able to escape safely and were not injured says Julian Williamson, Norfolk Fire and Rescue spokesman.
Williamson says the fire happened shortly before 11pm and was under control in less than 20 minutes. It was contained to the rear of the home.
The house sustained significant fire and smoke damage and is uninhabitable at this time.
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified