Norfolk family escapes house fire thanks to smoke alarm
Two people living in a home on Suburban Parkway near Kirby Crescent were alerted to a fire in their home by a working smoke detector Friday night.
They were able to escape safely and were not injured says Julian Williamson, Norfolk Fire and Rescue spokesman.
Williamson says the fire happened shortly before 11pm and was under control in less than 20 minutes. It was contained to the rear of the home.
The house sustained significant fire and smoke damage and is uninhabitable at this time.
- UPDATE: Two more victims die overnight after fatal Sandbridge crash
- WATCH: Judge lashes out at convicted killer "I hope you die in prison"
- Two dead in homicide-suicide shooting in Virginia Beach
- USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group returns home
- Norfolk resident: 'They had my little stepson on the ground with the gun to his head'