Potential jumper safely taken into custody, Bainbridge and Military back open
Chesapeake, Va. – The potential bridge jumper in Chesapeake is safely in custody police say.
Bainbridge Boulevard was closed for several hours as crews tried to resolve the jumper situation from early Wednesday afternoon.
Chesapeake Police say they received a call around 12:40 p.m. in reference to a woman who was spotted climbing over the ledge of the Triple Decker Bridge overpass.
Police negotiators were on the scene for several hours attempting to bring the woman to safety. Police told us she appeared to be in her mid-20s, and was sitting on a landing adjacent to the bridge, approximately 25 feet off the ground.
The nearby Gilmerton Bridge was also closed in both directions as a result of this incident, as well as the southbound Military Highway exit ramp off I-464.
Motorists are still encouraged to seek alternate routes for the time being.
All roads in the area were reopened just after 9 p.m.Submit Your Photo
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Owner of Chesapeake nail salon shot during robbery