Members of rescue team recall tense moments during overturned tractor trailer rescue
Newport News, Va. – It was a pretty intense scene on the Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel Monday morning as a woman was rescued from a tractor trailer that was left dangling over the bridge. The heroes who helped to save the driver talked about the rescue mission with NewsChannel 3.
“It is what we do. The fire department, that’s what we train for,” says Scott Dye, Master Chief Firefighter. “It was just my time that particular day to be at that particular place.”
“You just take what you’re dealt with and you make the best out of it and you have a good ending in the end,” says Lt. Denny West, a Newport News Firefighter.
Dye and West tell NewsChannel 3 they were on the northbound side of I-664. They used a fire truck ladder to get to the woman. Dye lowered himself by rope down to where the woman was located on the side of the bridge and he was able to get her out of the truck. He then placed her in a safety vest and a harness where she was lifted to safety.
- ‘Super’ exercise helps mom lose 110 pounds
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- The missing Malaysia Airlines flight: What we know and don’t know
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- ‘Little hero’ uses Facetime to save his mom