Defense Secretary Hagel will give up part of salary to match furloughed workers’ cuts
(CNN) – Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will give up a portion of his salary, a decision prompted by the mandatory federal budget cuts, Pentagon press secretary George Little said Tuesday.
The amount would be the part of the salary that would have been cut if he had been subject to the same work furlough as thousands of department personnel.
Hagel, who earns $199,700 annually and is not subject to the furlough, will write a check to the Treasury for up to 14 days of salary, Little said.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend
- Watch: Arizona pug takes on police K-9
- Man struck and killed by truck in Newport News; driver arrested