Defense Secretary Hagel will give up part of salary to match furloughed workers’ cuts
(CNN) – Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel will give up a portion of his salary, a decision prompted by the mandatory federal budget cuts, Pentagon press secretary George Little said Tuesday.
The amount would be the part of the salary that would have been cut if he had been subject to the same work furlough as thousands of department personnel.
Hagel, who earns $199,700 annually and is not subject to the furlough, will write a check to the Treasury for up to 14 days of salary, Little said.
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket