USS Nicholas comes to the aid of sinking Turkish ship
Norfolk, Va. – The crew of the Norfolk-based USS Nicholas came to the rescue of a sinking Turkish ship in the Indian Ocean this weekend.
Saturday morning NATO called the Nicholas crew to the aid of The Atlantic Confidence.
According to NATO’s website, there was a fire aboard the Turkish ship and it was sinking off the coast of Oman.
The USS Nicholas dispatched a helicopter to check out the damage and make sure everyone was alright.
All 21 of the Turkish seamen got into lifeboats. NATO coordinated with another nearby ship to take on the survivors.
The USS Nicholas left Naval Station Norfolk in January.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Man wants ‘murder’ tattoo removed from neck before trial
- Norfolk Airport holds auction for items from lost and found