USS Nicholas comes to the aid of sinking Turkish ship
Norfolk, Va. – The crew of the Norfolk-based USS Nicholas came to the rescue of a sinking Turkish ship in the Indian Ocean this weekend.
Saturday morning NATO called the Nicholas crew to the aid of The Atlantic Confidence.
According to NATO’s website, there was a fire aboard the Turkish ship and it was sinking off the coast of Oman.
The USS Nicholas dispatched a helicopter to check out the damage and make sure everyone was alright.
All 21 of the Turkish seamen got into lifeboats. NATO coordinated with another nearby ship to take on the survivors.
The USS Nicholas left Naval Station Norfolk in January.
- Chrysler orders college to destroy rare pre-production Dodge Viper
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Kill Devil Hills man sentenced for 2012 beating, sexual assault of girlfriend