Three people killed in massive car pileup on I-77 in Carroll County
Carroll County, Va. – A series of pileups near the Virginia-North Carolina border claimed the lives of three people Sunday and injured 25 more.
It happened on Interstate 77 in Carroll County, which is southwest of Blacksburg.
More than 95 vehicles were involved in 17 separate crashes in that area.
The 25 people hurt in the crashes have injuries ranging from minor to serious.
State police tell NewsChannel 3 the pileups were caused by foggy conditions around Fancy Gap Mountain.
Detours were in place for much of the day.
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video