Ex-NFL player Kwame Harris comes out as gay
Kwame Harris, a former offensive tackle for the 49ers and the Raiders recently admitted to being gay in an interview with CNN on Friday morning.
See the full interview here.
Harris told CNN’s Fredricka Whitfield that keeping his sexuality a secret while playing in the NFL wasn’t easy.
Harris was outed by the media after he pled not guilty to charges of beating up and ex-boyfriend in January.
“The cost was great in asking me to not speak candidly or be able to be open about myself in a complete manner,” Harris said. “If I could have done it differently, I would have hoped I found the strength [to come out].”
According to USA Today, Harris’ outing was met with negative reaction from 49ers cornerback Chris Culliver.
“I don’t do the gay guys man,” Culliver said. “I don’t do that. No, we don’t got no gay people on the team, they gotta get up out of here if they do. Can’t be with that sweet stuff. Nah…can’t be…in the locker room man. Nah.”
Culliver later apologized for his comments.
Harris said that he hopes that his experience can help others going through the same struggle.
“I want people, whether gay athletes, athletes still in the closet, or youths who are not sure what their sexuality is to know those are common feelings,” Harris said. “Don’t feel alone in having them.”
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Update: Driver charged after Amtrak train from Norfolk hits car in Waverly
- "Katherine" the 14-foot-long shark could be headed to Virginia Beach
- Who wrote it -- man or woman? Take our handwriting quiz!