Firefighter injured battling house fire in Newport News
Newport News, Va. – One firefighter was injured and one man left with a condemned home after a house fire early Saturday morning.
The fire happened on 17th Street near the intersection of 18th Street in Newport News around 12:30am.
One man was in the home alone when the fire started. He was able to get out safely before fire fighters arrived.
One firefighter suffered a knee injury while bringing a hose line into the burning house. He was transported to the hospital, where he was then treated and released.
The fire has been ruled accidental, and is due to combustibles being placed too close to a space heater.
The house sustained extensive damage and has been condemned.
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Suffolk mom targeted by online child porn scam
- Couple calls 911 after they don't get hash brown order at McDonald's