Firefighter injured battling house fire in Newport News
Newport News, Va. – One firefighter was injured and one man left with a condemned home after a house fire early Saturday morning.
The fire happened on 17th Street near the intersection of 18th Street in Newport News around 12:30am.
One man was in the home alone when the fire started. He was able to get out safely before fire fighters arrived.
One firefighter suffered a knee injury while bringing a hose line into the burning house. He was transported to the hospital, where he was then treated and released.
The fire has been ruled accidental, and is due to combustibles being placed too close to a space heater.
The house sustained extensive damage and has been condemned.
- Prankster gives homeless man 'winning' lottery ticket
- Baby holds ‘Call Me Maybe’ sign for Army dad meeting her for the first time
- Father and son among three arrested in Kitty Hawk drug investigation
- Family, friends gather to remember two girls killed in Ahoskie fire; two others injured
- South Carolina mother drives van filled with kids into ocean