Comfort, Grasp and Kauffman deployments cancelled due to budget cuts
Norfolk, Va. – The deployments once scheduled for April for the USNS Comfort, USS Kauffman, and the Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek-based USNS Grasp along with their supporting units, have been cancelled due to budget cuts.
Kauffman and Comfort were supposed to deploy to the U.S Southern Command area of responsibility.
Grasp was scheduled to deploy to the U.S. European Command AOR.
Sailors and civilian mariners are being notified.
The commands were already bracing for the possibility of the cancellation. The ships will remain in their homeports for now.
- UPDATE: Two girls die after crash in Sandbridge, five others hospitalized
- UPDATE: Cargo ship runs aground in Virginia Beach; crews to start salvage plan Friday
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call