Generator causes explosion inside Virginia Beach van; nearby homes damaged
Virginia Beach, Va. - A generator inside a van caught fire, which spread to two nearby town homes in Virginia Beach shortly after midnight Wednesday morning.
It happened in the Rosemont Forest neighborhood, which is near Lynnhaven Parkway.
Officials say the generator explosion caused a fire, which spread behind the white van. The flames destroyed two town houses there.
The generator was inside the van because a family was using it to power their home.
No injuries were reported, and firefighters believe it was accidental.
Red Cross Disaster volunteers were on-scene, and provided four people with lodging, food, and clothing assistance.
Watch NewsChannel 3 for updates.
Neighbors say the generator inside the van exploded, family living there was running it bc they didn't have power to the house—
Darragh Copley (@DarraghatWTKR) March 20, 2013
- Jailhouse phone recordings sink bond chances in Chris Pardee case
- Witness reveals ‘The Crocodile Hunter’ Steve Irwin’s last words
- Family says 22-pound cat held them hostage in their own home
- UPDATE: Company says ailing 7-year-old will get drug as part of study
- UPDATE: Man shot to death in car in Portsmouth identified