How unusual is snow in spring?
Hampton Roads doesn’t get much snow during typical winters. So how unusual is it to see snow after the start of spring? It’s not common, but certainly not unheard of.
While we’re expecting little, if any, accumulation on Thursday morning, we have had accumulating snow on that date. Our record is 3 inches of snow on March 21, 1908.
Our biggest spring snowfall came on March 25, 1974 when 7.5 inches fell.
And we’ve had snow well into April. Our latest measurable snowfall came on April 13, 1940 when 1.3 inches fell. But we’ve also had trace amounts of snow as late as April 17th.
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- UPDATE: Police identify two children dead after multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- Virginia Beach residents angered by early-morning reverse 911 call