USS Carr to be decommissioned in ceremony on Wednesday
The guided-missile frigate USS Carr will be decommissioned at a ceremony on Wednesday at Naval Station Norfolk.
The ship was built in Seattle, Washington and was originally homeported in Charleston, S.C. as part of Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 6. In 1995, Norfolk became the Carr’s homeport.
The ship is named after Gunner’s Mate 3rd Class Paul Henry Carr. He was awarded posthumously the Silver Star for his brave acts in the Battle of Samar during WWII.
- Update: State Police seek information from witnesses to crash that killed Virginia Beach teen
- Woman's body found on Yorktown Beach
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million