USS Carr to be decommissioned in ceremony on Wednesday
The guided-missile frigate USS Carr will be decommissioned at a ceremony on Wednesday at Naval Station Norfolk.
The ship was built in Seattle, Washington and was originally homeported in Charleston, S.C. as part of Destroyer Squadron (DESRON) 6. In 1995, Norfolk became the Carr’s homeport.
The ship is named after Gunner’s Mate 3rd Class Paul Henry Carr. He was awarded posthumously the Silver Star for his brave acts in the Battle of Samar during WWII.
- Cargo ship runs aground in high winds off Virginia Beach
- One dead, eight hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Sandbridge
- Rapper Andre Johnson severs penis, jumps off building, but survives
- Which Hampton Roads city is the cheapest for your family?
- VIDEO: Why it's not a good idea to take selfies with moving trains