Look What’s Cookin’ – Oyster and Brie Soup
Oyster and Brie Soup
2 dozen select oyster, shucked in liquor
2 cups cold water or white veal stock
4 oz butter (1 stick)
¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ cup minced shallot
¼ cup minced leek
¼ cup minced celery
¼ tsp fresh ground white pepper
½ # brie, cubed, with rind
1 cup heavy cream
Champagne, sherry or sweet vermouth to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1. Combine oysters in liquor with the cold water and refrigerate about an hour.
2. Heat butter in medium saucepan over moderate heat and gently sweat the shallot, leek, celery, and white pepper till translucent
3. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes.
4. Remove from heat. Strain the water off the oysters and whisk into the butter and flour mixture.
5. Return to the heat and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking for 8-12 minutes, or till there is no flour taste.
6. Add the brie and maintain low heat till just melted, about 2 minutes.
7. Puree the soup with a blender and strain with a fine mesh strainer.
8. Return to the burner and add the cream and oysters. Cook over moderate heat just till the edges of the oysters curl up.
9. Season to taste with salt, pepper and your choice of champagne, sherry or vermouth.
10. Portion into warmed serving bowls, sprinkle with a dash of cayenne pepper and sliced scallions.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Virginia Beach teen killed in six-car crash on I-64 in Hampton
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million