Coast Guard medevacs man from cargo ship 200 miles east of Chesapeake Bay
Portsmouth, Va. – The Coast Guard medevaced a 47-year-old man Wednesday from the 780-foot cargo ship Horizon Trader approximately 200 miles east of the Chesapeake Bay.
A ship’s representative contacted Coast Guard 5th District watchstanders at 2:20 p.m. reporting a man sustained injuries to his chest resulting from a fall and requested the man be medevaced.
District watchstanders dispatched crews aboard an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter and an HC-130 Hercules aircraft from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City to assist.
The Jayhawk crew arrived on scene at approximately 4:30 p.m., hoisted the man into the aircraft and took him to Sentara Norfolk General hospital.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations