Portsmouth parents charged with abusing infant for second time
Portsmouth, Va. – Officials have charged 21 year-old Matthew Wayne Strawn, with assaulting his infant child for a second time. The mother, 20 year-old, Allie Samantha Strawn has also been charged.
Officials say the two were taken into custody on Wednesday and charged with felony child abuse.
The infant, who was born in January 2013, is in the custody of Child Protective Services and being treated at Portsmouth Naval Medical Center.
Officials say in the early hours of Tuesday the mother went to Portsmouth Naval Medical Center after the child began to expel food.
During the examination, the medical staff discovered the infant had a broken rib.
Portsmouth Police, Special Victim’s Detectives and Child Protective Services responded and began an investigation.
Detectives discovered the mother routinely visited with the father at the Portsmouth Naval Medical Center barracks, where he was staying since the first incident of alleged abuse in February 2013.
The mother and infant were staying in housing away from the father, pending the outcome of the previous criminal case. During one of the visits, the alleged abuse took place causing the injury according to police.
Stay with NewsChannel 3 for more information on this case.
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Store owner forgives thief who returned $300 samurai sword to his Beach business
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Jeremy Mayfield’s $1.3 million mansion to be burned down
- Shot of the year? Roanoke high schooler makes incredible basket