Update: Gilmerton Bridge reopens to traffic after ammunition found
The Gilmerton Bridge on Military Highway in Chesapeake was closed Friday morning after old ammunition was found under a portion of the bridge on the South Norfolk (east) side.
The Bridge has now re-opened to vehicle and marine traffic.
Contractors working on the demolition of the old bridge span of the Gilmerton Bridge had uncovered what was reported to be old, unexploded naval ordnance at approximately 9 a.m.
As a precautionary measure, the Captain of the Port closed the waterway to all maritime traffic from Money Point to the I-64 High Rise Bridge while a Navy Explosive Ordnace Disposal team inspected the objects.
- Beach Police: Evening inbound Oceanfront access likely closed, limited this weekend
- Beach father on deadly Sandbridge crash: 'To see them in that condition is unbearable'
- Photo starts feeding frenzy over monster shark caught from Florida beach
- Who would bully military wives online?
- Naval Medical Center Portsmouth reopens after several threats force evacuations