Update: Gilmerton Bridge reopens to traffic after ammunition found
The Gilmerton Bridge on Military Highway in Chesapeake was closed Friday morning after old ammunition was found under a portion of the bridge on the South Norfolk (east) side.
The Bridge has now re-opened to vehicle and marine traffic.
Contractors working on the demolition of the old bridge span of the Gilmerton Bridge had uncovered what was reported to be old, unexploded naval ordnance at approximately 9 a.m.
As a precautionary measure, the Captain of the Port closed the waterway to all maritime traffic from Money Point to the I-64 High Rise Bridge while a Navy Explosive Ordnace Disposal team inspected the objects.
- Stolen passports raise possibility of terrorism in missing flight
- Mother accused of driving drunk with teen daughter in car
- Virginia Beach teen killed in six-car crash on I-64 in Hampton
- Bond for mom who drove van filled with kids into ocean set at $1.2 million
- Woman's auto-bill payments hid her death for six years