Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group deploys after short homecoming
Norfolk, Va. – Nearly 4,500 sailors with the Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group deployed today from Naval Station Norfolk after a short homecoming.
The carrier came home early for the holidays to have its flight deck resurfaced before returning to active duty for several months.
The Navy made that decision to send the Ike home for the work after learning repairs to the USS Nimitz would take longer than expected.
The Ike will be supporting operations in the U.S. Navy’s 5th and 6th Fleets, and will work with allied and partner maritime forces, focusing heavily on maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts.
- Hampton Roads veterans still waiting up to 30 months for disability claims
- Dolphins surf new submarine's bow wave (video)
- You're eating more calories than you think
- Beach stabbing victim: 'The knife was just in my back, like a ninja' (Video)
- College student from Yorktown wins $1 million lottery prize