Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group deploys after short homecoming
Norfolk, Va. – Nearly 4,500 sailors with the Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group deployed today from Naval Station Norfolk after a short homecoming.
The carrier came home early for the holidays to have its flight deck resurfaced before returning to active duty for several months.
The Navy made that decision to send the Ike home for the work after learning repairs to the USS Nimitz would take longer than expected.
The Ike will be supporting operations in the U.S. Navy’s 5th and 6th Fleets, and will work with allied and partner maritime forces, focusing heavily on maritime security operations and theater security cooperation efforts.
- Hampton man shoots suspected burglar who was hiding out inside barber shop closet
- Sailor's murals give the USS Theodore Roosevelt a splash of color
- Watch this: Massive Milwaukee highway pileup captured on video
- Suffolk mom targeted by online child porn scam
- Couple calls 911 after they don't get hash brown order at McDonald's